InvestorQ : Who do you think is right in the Farmer’s agitation? Do farmers have a valid point or does the government have a valid point?
diksha shah made post

Who do you think is right in the Farmer’s agitation? Do farmers have a valid point or does the government have a valid point?

Answer
image
Arti Chavan answered.
3 months ago
Follow

Actually, both the government and the farmers have merit in their arguments. Both are right in their own way and there is some validity in their arguments. However, both need to see the point of view the other side also.

Farmers need to accept that the Green Revolution is long gone and India is not a country of shortages but of surplus food grains. Old policies need not apply any more. The government is trying to change too much too soon without giving any comfort to the people who are losing out on their turfs. They need to talk longer and better.

It needs to be remembered that the MSP is actually enjoyed only by 6% of the farmers in India. The other 94% sells at market prices. In fact, states like Bihar and many others have scrapped APMC long back and the system is working perfectly fine in these states.

This is the Green Revolution mindset. That was the period of shortages in food grains so government had to intervene and ensure price stability and also equitable distribution. Today, India is a surplus producer of cereals, pulses and grains. The need of the hour is market driven pricing with some checks and balances; that is all.

Here is how they can meet half way and hammer out a solution. The government on its part can assure continuation of MSP for some more time and gradually phase it out. If the farmers are free of APMC monopoly and get better prices, they would only be too happy. Even globally, that approach has not only worked but also thrived.

Corporates have to be involved for best in class quality. Farmers of Punjab and Haryana are worried about the loss of status quo and that is natural. Farmers must really give markets a chance to succeed and the government can meet half way and adopt a phased approach. It will eventually suit both the side.

2 Views